Medical Equipment PreparerMedical Equipment Preparer, also known as central supply technicians, use cleansing and sterilizing solutions to disinfect and sterilize laboratory or healthcare equipment, such as respirators, hospital beds, wheelchairs, and oxygen and dialysis equipment.
Medical Equipment Preparers use hand tools to install and set up equipment.
They observe gauges and equipment operation to detect malfunctions to assure that equipment is operating properly.
They also connect medical equipment to a water source to flush waste from the equipment.
Duties include delivering equipment to a specified hospital location or to a patient's private residence and maintaining inventory and equipment usage records.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of sterilization procedures.
- Mechanical aptitude.
- Detail oriented.
- Good manual dexterity.
- Fingerprint clearance may be required by employer.
- Medical Equipment Preparers Median hourly wage: $13.37
- Average annual wage: $28,811
- Estimated number of Medical Equipment Preparers in 2002: 2,900
- Estimated number of Medical Equipment Preparers in 2012: 3,600
- Estimated annual job openings: 120
Possible Career Paths for Medical Equipment Preparers (Central Supply Technicians) include becoming a: